Language Training


Canada's official languages are English and French.

Upon arrival to Canada you may need to sign up for English classes. In order to do this you must go to the Language Assessment and Resource Centre to have your language levels assessed. This is done through a written and oral test. After you do this, you will know what classes you are able to take.

The Language Assessment and Resource Centre will be able to direct you to the organizations that offer the classes that you are able to take.

These centres may have Care for Newcomer Children services available for you during class times. Contact the centre that you will be taking classes at to learn more about their Care for Newcomer Children services. Many of these locations offer classes at different times during the day so you are able to find one that will work best for you.

There are a variety of classes that have different focuses and different levels of ability. These are some of the classes that you may see in Windsor-Essex.

English Language

English as a Second Language (ESL)

The English as a Second Language (ESL) program is offered by the Greater Essex County District School Board. In order to use this program you need to:

  • Be 19 years old or older
  • Be a Refugee Claimant, Convention Refugee, Government Sponsored Refugee, Landed Immigrant or Canadian Citizen

If you are a visitor to Canada, on a Student Visa or an Individual on Work Authorization, you are able to attend ESL classes but you may need to pay additional fees.

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)

The LINC program is a language training program that is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The program is free, but you need to:

  • Be a permanent resident of Canada, or Convention Refugee, or be a person in Canada who has been told of their initial approval for Permanent Resident status
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have taken a language assessment test at a Language Assessment Centre

Canadian citizens, refugee claimants and temporary residents are not allowed to take LINC.

Enhanced Language Training

Enhanced Language Training is job-specific and helps you learn the language that is used in the field you hope to be working in.

French as a Second Language (FSL)

The Conseil scolaire catholique Providence offers French classes in most of its elementary and secondary schools, in the Windsor, Essex, Chatham-Kent and Sarnia areas. Visit their website to learn more about these classes.

  • There may be a small cost to take these courses and they are open to any adult resident in Ontario whose first language is neither French nor English (other requirements may apply). This is a great opportunity for someone who wishes to improve their résumé or discover the French-Canadian community. Please note that if students wish to obtain their Canadian citizenship they are prepared and evaluated for their language requirements.

Curriculum Courses

You may be interested in learning French as a Second Language in a school setting. These courses have an additional cost to them.

You may learn more about these courses through Collège Boréal or St.Clair College.