Registering for School


When you are ready to register your children for school, there is certain information that you will need to provide:

  • Proof of your child's age.

    • This could be a birth certificate or passport.
  • Proof of address.

    • This could be a copy of a bank statement, telephone or electrical bill or apartment lease with your name and address.
  • Proof of guardianship.

    • This is needed if your child is under 18 years of age and is not living with a parent.
  • Proof of child's immigration status.

    • One of the following:

      • Birth certificate
      • Passport
      • Permanent Resident Card
      • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) or Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Immunization record.

    • This is proof that your son or daughter has had their shots (immunized).

Students in the elementary grades are usually placed in a grade according to their age.

Secondary students from other countries may have a test before they are placed in a school. This test is done at a Newcomer Reception Centre and will help to make sure that your child is being placed in the right grade. If you have any of your children’s previous report cards or textbooks, you can bring them with you when you go to the Newcomer Reception Centre.

Our local Newcomer Reception Centre:

  • Greater Essex County District School Board:
    • 443C Ouellette Avenue, Windsor, ON N9A 4J2
    • Tel:  519-985-6333
    • Fax:  519-985-6393