Preschool and Child Care


Under Canadian law, children who are under 12 years old cannot be left home alone. In Ontario there are many options for people who can care for your children while you are at work.

Childcare may be licensed or unlicensed.

Licensed childcare may be offered at a childcare centre or through a home-based child care provider who is hired by a licensed daycare agency. Licensed childcare must meet provincial standards and licensed locations are inspected once a year.

Unlicensed child care is set up by the caregiver and the parents.

There are many things you will want to think about when choosing the right childcare option for you and your family:Young children having their faces painted

  • Location
  • Hours
  • Children’s ages
  • Activities
  • Staff training
  • Availability
  • Cost



The Ontario Ministry of Education has some questions you should ask yourself and steps you should follow as you try to decide what childcare option is best for you and your family. There are many childcare centres across our region for you to choose from.

Ontario Early Years Centres/Centres de la petite enfance

In Ontario we have Ontario Early Years Centres, or Centres de la petite enfance. These centres are spaces where you can go with your child to take part in programs and activities together, ask questions, learn about programs and services, and talk with parents, caregivers and professional early years caregivers.

We have Ontario Early Years Centres across Essex County and the city of Windsor.