A multicultural group of babies sitting in the fall leaves

Under Canadian law, children who are under 12 years old cannot be left home alone.

In Ontario there are many options for people who can care for your children while you are at work.

Childcare may be licensed or unlicensed.

  • Licensed childcare must meet provincial standards and licensed locations are inspected once a year.
  • Unlicensed child care arrangements are made between the caregiver and the parents.

If you are using services from a settlement agency you may want to ask them about their child care options.

Youth painting pictures on children's faces

There are many things you will want to think about when choosing the right childcare option for you and your family:

  • Location
  • Hours
  • Age of children
  • Activities
  • Staff training
  • Availability
  • Cost


The Ontario Ministry of Education has some questions you should ask yourself and steps you should follow as you try to decide what childcare option is best for your situation. There are many childcare centres across our region for you to choose from.

 You can learn more about the City of Windsor's Childrens Services here.