Learning English


Once you arrive in Canada you may need to sign up for English classes.

In order to do this you must go to the Language Assessment and Resource Centre to have your language levels assessed. This is done through a written and oral test. After you do this you will know what classes you are eligible for.

The Language Assessment and Resource Centre will be able to help you figure out what language classes you can take.

The organizations that offer language classes have Care for Newcomer Children services available for you during class times. You will need to contact the service provider directly to see what child care services you can use. Many of these locations offer classes at different times throughout the day so you are able to find one that will work for you.

There are many different types of language classes. Below are some of the classes that you may see in Windsor-Essex. You can learn more about the organizations who offer these classes on our “Language Training” Page.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

The ESL program is offered by the Greater Essex County District School Board. To use this program you need to:

  • Be 19 years old or older
  • Be a Refugee Claimant, Convention Refugee, Government Sponsored Refugee, Landed Immigrant or Canadian Citizen

If you are a visitor to Canada, on a Student Visa or an Individual on Work Authorization, you are able to attend ESL classes but you may need to pay additional fees.

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)

The LINC program is a language training program that is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The program is free if you meet the requirements.

To be approved for LINC you need to:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have taken a language assessment test at a Language Assessment Centre
  • Be a permanent resident of Canada, or Convention Refugee, or be a person in Canada whose application for Permanent Resident status is being processed in Canada and who has been informed by a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada of the initial approval of your application subject to an admissibility assessment

Canadian citizens, refugee claimants and temporary residents are not eligible for LINC.

English Language Training

English Language Training is job-specific. It helps you in learning the language that is directly associated with the field you are qualified in.